Driving from the USA to Costa Rica V

Please subscribe to Coach Vaillant newsletter for new exclusive content

Listen to the audio

Lire la version en Français

Lea la versión en Español

Jump back to Chapter IV – El Salvador & Honduras

Chapter V – Nicaragua

As we journeyed towards Leon, a city steeped in history, renowned for its vibrant cultural scene, colonial architecture, and revolutionary past, we encountered no less than five police checkpoints along the way. The sheer number of police was unlike anything I had ever seen in a country before. As darkness settled, we approached the last checkpoint, and I made sure to make the proper turn after a hard stop. My Texan license plate was like an open invitation for the police to try and extort cash from unsuspecting tourists like us. They would find any pretext to demand fines or bribes.One of the officers flagged us down, claiming I had made a wrong turn and deserved a fine. Tired and annoyed after a long day, I calmly told him to go ahead and issue the fine, but I had no cash with me at the moment, flashing a big smile. He looked dumbfounded, probably realizing that writing a piece of paper offered him no personal benefit, and decided to let us go with a simple warning.

We arrived in Leon at night, involuntarily breaking our rule of not driving at night. Surprisingly, we encountered no threats other than the police during the drive. To unwind and recover from the long day, we walked to a charming restaurant downtown called Beers & Pellets, where we indulged in an excellent meal at a fraction of the cost compared to Costa Rica. For only $26, we had a gorgeous meal with beers for two. Nicaragua’s cities gave me a feel of Cuba, with their colorful buildings, limited modernity, and the genuine kindness and spontaneity of the people. Both countries had been significantly influenced by the Soviet Union and had suffered the consequences of the Cold War, with the two superpowers financing criminal organizations on both sides to exploit the country’s resources.

The country carries a weighty energy, epitomized by a pervasive sense of resignation and apathy that lingers after enduring years of civil war and economic depression. Nevertheless, despite these challenges, we discovered the roads to be excellent throughout the country, actually surpassing the ones we encountered in Costa Rica for the places we visited. Based on recommendations, we signed up for a guided tour of Cerro Negro, which turned out to be a must-do experience. It is a very new volcano, the youngest in Central America, and the second youngest in the world, having first appeared in April 1850. It consists of a gravelly basaltic cinder cone, which contrasts greatly with the surrounding verdant hillsides, and gives rise to its name, which means Black Hill. For just $40, we had a two-hour round-trip transportation, a T-shirt, a bandana, an amazing hike to an active volcano, a thrilling sliding experience down the volcano, unlimited coke and rum, fun traveling companions and a satisfying lunch. The sliding down the volcano was undeniably one of my peak experiences, thrilling yet feeling quite safe with the appropriate gear provided by the tour agency.

Our next destination was Granada, a picturesque city known for its well-preserved colonial architecture. We ventured into the local markets and explored the charming, colorful streets with various activities for onlookers. Great food awaited us at very affordable prices.

The following day, we set out to visit the Masaya volcano, renowned for its impressive crater emitting sulfurous gases and occasional lava flows. Unfortunately, rain in the morning prevented us from using the path with a direct view of the lava. Nevertheless, the gigantic crater with its vertical chimney left us in awe, providing a sense of the immense forces of nature. The museum about the history of the volcano offered intriguing insights, including the dark past of child sacrifices by the indigenous people and the attempts by colonizers to fight the perceived forces of hell by sending large wooden statues of Christ into the volcano burning mouth.

We then booked Rivas as our final city, which provided easy access to the immense Lake Cocibolca, also known as Lake Nicaragua, the largest freshwater lake in Central America. From there, we could conveniently explore the island of Ometepe and the popular beach town of San Juan del Sur.

During our trip, Niek came to a realization about his readiness for a long-term relationship and decided to open his Bumble dating account. Almost instantaneously, he found a perfect match, Jenny, a tall, articulate, spiritual, European woman who seemed to complement him in every way. They hit it off instantly online, and he arranged a date with her the same night. The promise of love inspired him to bravely drive at night without hesitation. I couldn’t help but feel genuinely happy for him and excited to see this new love potential unfold.

As I witnessed Niek’s excitement and happiness exploring this new potential for love, I couldn’t help but see a reflection of myself in that moment. It genuinely warmed my heart to see him so enthused. However, our joy was short-lived as shortly after leaving for his date, he called me sounding frustrated. He had been stopped by the police, and to his dismay, he had forgotten the car paperwork. I quickly sent him pictures of the required documents, but the Nicaraguan policeman saw an opportunity for an easy bribe and insisted that physical paperwork was necessary. Niek, eager not to keep his date waiting, paid the officer $20 for his indulgence and promptly returned to the hotel to retrieve the papers.

As I settled in for what I hoped would be a restful night at the hotel, fate had other plans. The Gran Hotel Victoria, where we were staying, had rented the terrace next to our bedroom for a birthday party. The noise level was akin to having a live band playing inside our room. I was informed that the party would end at 11 pm, but it continued boisterously until 1 am, disrupting any hope of rest. Meanwhile, Niek returned around midnight from his date, beaming with happiness.

Our day began early at 5:30 am as we had to catch the ferry to the enchanting island of Ometepe, located in Lake Nicaragua. What makes Ometepe truly special are its twin volcanoes, Concepción and Maderas, creating a captivating and picturesque backdrop. Unfortunately, upon our arrival at Ometepe, we were met with the disappointing news that the later ferries were fully booked. Despite being told that reservations were unnecessary, I learned the hard way that it’s better to be safe than sorry, especially if you have a car. So, a piece of advice: make sure to reserve the ferry in advance to avoid any last-minute hassles.

As a result of the ferry schedule, we had to settle for the 1 pm return ferry. Surprisingly, this worked in Niek’s favor, as it meant he could spend more time with his date, Jenny, at 3 pm on the same day. It was clear to me that the allure of a beautiful woman outweighed even the most breathtaking sceneries. With limited time on the island, we opted to explore it by car and decided to visit El Ojo de Agua, a hidden oasis with crystal-clear waters, featuring a thrilling Tarzan swing and magical pools teeming with life. Despite our brief visit, the serenity of Ometepe left an unforgettable impression on us.

Later in the day, I dropped Niek off to spend more time with Jenny, and I treated myself to a relaxing swim in tranquil waters. As I leisurely strolled through the vibrant beach city of San Juan del Sur, temptation led me to Gaby’s Spa and Laundry—a peculiar name, but don’t be fooled; there is an actual spa on the second floor. I indulged in an excellent deep tissue massage, which, like everything else in Nicaragua, was surprisingly affordable.

In the midst of my evening, Niek messaged me, expressing his desire to spend as much time as possible with Jenny, as he had developed strong desire to get to know her. We had previously agreed on a 10 pm curfew, so his message was a confirmation for me to pick him up at that later time. I wondered how to occupy myself for the rest of the evening and settled on the popular restaurant with great reviews, Dale Pues.

In the midst of my dinner, I was taken aback as I saw Niek approaching my table. It dawned on me that Jenny had chosen the same restaurant for her evening with him. She looked stunning in her dress, catching my eye from afar. Observing them together, I couldn’t help but feel genuinely happy for Niek; these two giants (Niek is 1m94 and Jenny 1m88) seemed like a perfect match. However, just as I was lost in these thoughts, the atmosphere shifted drastically. Five minutes later, Niek returned to my table, visibly devastated. Jenny had left, and her departure was laced with deep insecurity and suspicion, mostly due to my presence.

My rugged traveling beard and wild, uncombed blond hair seemed to have unintentionally created a false impression. In Jenny’s eyes, I appeared like someone from an unsavory world, perhaps capable of being involved in a prostitution ring that could send her quickly to the Middle East. The coincidence of me being present was too much for her to overcome, and Niek’s attempts to reassure her fell short.

Ever the gentleman, Niek inquired about the best way to support Jenny, and she expressed a need for time alone. Despite his willingness to stay longer in Nicaragua and get to know her better, it became evident that their paths were not meant to intertwine further. Though Niek held onto hope, waiting for a message that might change the course of events, it never came to pass. In the morning, my companion prepared to leave Rivas with me as we headed back to Costa Rica, accepting that fate had different plans for him.

As mentioned in the previous blog, the Honduras/Nicaragua border was the most stressful, but the Nicaragua/Costa Rica border turned out to be the longest. Driving to the entrance was relatively easy, with only a short line of trucks, and we found the overall organization at this border to be good. Still on the Nicaraguan side, we first got our passport stamps, and a young man asked a $1 toll per person to cross the door. Strange as it seemed, we paid the toll, but he had no change, so he asked us to come back later to give him another $1. Surprisingly, he never reminded us of the missing $1 when we passed him later. I still don’t understand his purpose there. Then we paid $3 per person to get our passports stamped. After that, we were instructed to bring all seven pieces of our luggage through the scanning machine. Only one of our bags was flagged because of Niek’s new slow juicer from the USA. I had to explain that I carry my personal juicer everywhere due to health reasons, and thankfully, they understood and didn’t impose any additional fees. However, they still insisted on scanning our entire car, which proved to be a confusing process to get to the giant truck scan machine.

It was an awe-inspiring piece of technology. The authorities instructed us to step out of the car and find a safe spot away from radiation. Then, I waited for almost an hour to receive the results from the police. Next, I had to return to the Nicaragua customs to obtain an additional stamp, which took another 45 minutes due to the long lines. Finally, we could proceed to the Costa Rican side. As we joined the queue to stamp our passports, a “helper” approached me, offering to speed up the process for a fee. Curious, I asked how much, and he responded with “10 mil” (about $20) so I gave it a try.

First, he advised me to take one of my small luggage pieces and pretend that was all we had, a suggestion that suited me well after our costly experience at the Guatemala border. Secondly, he maneuvered us to cut the line and enter the office ahead of honest people who had been patiently waiting outside. While this may have saved us 20 minutes, we still had to respect the line inside the building. Feeling guilty about the helper’s tactics, we tried to redeem ourselves by offering a chair to an 88-year-old lady while her daughter waited in front of us to get her passport stamped.

After successfully getting our passports stamped and sole luggage into the scanner, the hustler directed me to another office to pay $20 for the car entry. Then came the moment for him to collect his due. As agreed, I handed him 10,000 colones, but to my surprise, he complained that this money was only the bribe for government employees, and that he expected additional payment. Annoyed by his lack of transparency, a frustratingly common trait in Costa Rica, I gave him another 8,000 colones to avoid further hassle. In conclusion, using helpers when crossing Costa Rica is not worth it. Their assistance proved to be a scam and left us feeling unsatisfied.

I was then told to complete the process at another customs office, 200 meters down the road. I complied, obtained the car insurance papers for $51 for three months in Costa Rica (yes, cars get a three-month tourist visa just like people). However, as we attempted to cross the border, we encountered a familiar issue – missing paperwork. I had to return to the same office, only to find out that I had another stop at a different station. Unfortunately, the lady was on her lunch break, forcing us to wait another 30 minutes to complete the process. Although it wasn’t overly stressful, this inefficiency made it our longest border crossing, taking well over four hours.

Of course, just as we entered Costa Rica, Niek received a message from Jenny asking him to come back to spend more time together!

Despite my proficiency in criticizing my country of residence now that I am well aware of some of its deficiencies, it felt wonderful to be back home again. Niek and I experienced a tremendous sense of accomplishment as we concluded our epic journey. We spent the night in Liberia at my good friend Dominique’s home with his family. The next day, we savored the last lunch of our journey at Cinco20, the Texas grill in Grecia, my hometown. In essence, we ended where we started, 5,000 kilometers and three weeks later. It brought us pure joy to reconnect with our community members and our farm animals. During our trip, our two female goats had given birth to two adorable baby girls. All is well that ends well.

Niek’s ponderings

Love Blossoms in Nicaragua

The last country and the final chapter of our remarkable journey. What story would be complete without a touch of love and adventure?

After surviving the ordeal of crossing the border from Honduras to Nicaragua, we encountered a surprising number of police checkpoints—five in total—where we were pulled over each time.

At the last checkpoint, one of the officers tried to extort a bribe from my companion, Vaillant. However, my blonde travel mate, aware of his rights, firmly insisted on receiving a ticket instead of giving a bribe. Despite the officer’s attempts at intimidation, he eventually let us go.

As we drove towards our last hotel, I confessed to Vaillant that I longed for the company of more people than just him. Coincidentally, he mentioned that Joselyn and Maripaz came to visit us in Guatemala.

I playfully corrected him, teasing that they were coming to visit him, not me. So, I ended up with a room without air conditioning and the blissful absence of Vaillant’s snoring.

Observing him with his new lover reminded me of my own love life. It had been a while since my last date, so I took the plunge like any new-age millennial would and installed a dating app. In record time, I matched with a stunning woman from the UK who seemed to meet all my requirements.

While Vaillant chatted with Joselyn on his daily video call, I engaged in conversation with my potential match. After his call, he asked about our dinner plans. “I have a date!” I exclaimed excitedly.

The catch? My date was 25 kilometers away, and the road was dark with no lights, testing my comfort zone. One of our rules was not to drive at night, especially alone.

When I asked Vaillant if he was okay with me using his car, he surprisingly agreed. Being a sucker for love just like me, he just wanted me to be happy.

In my first attempt to reach my date, I got stopped by the police. The car documents were back at the hotel. I showed them a screenshot from Vaillant, but they insisted on physical proof.

In Latin America, everything comes at a price. For $10, they would let me go, as Vaillant translated through the phone. I handed over $20, and instead of change, I received a firm handshake. Asshole, I thought, but I smiled at his audacity.

I could have pressed on, but I decided to return to the hotel for the documents. On my way back, the same checkpoint stopped me again. This time, they questioned why I was driving away from my hotel so late. Frustrated, I showed them my Bumble account and the woman I was about to meet, explaining that I was late for my date. These thieves dressed as cops burst into laughter, finally convinced of my story. They let me pass without another bribe.

After a wonderful date, I drove back, proud of how composed I had been during the challenging situation with the police. The experience taught me that I was growing and expanding my horizons.

The second date the following day didn’t go as well. As a beautiful woman traveling alone, she was cautious, given the sexual and aggressive nature of the Latin culture. The locals’ relentless attention praying on tourists naivety for financial gain, or objectifying women’s body for sexual gratification, became overwhelming for her.

Despite my romantic proposition for her to travel together, she felt overwhelmed by the idea. Her ego stepped in, feeling weary about the real intentions of this new enterprising Belgium guy she just met. The romantic energy stops flowing for a little while. I managed to distract her enough to help restore the magic, and we enjoyed a lovely time at a restaurant.

As we dined at a charming restaurant, I noticed the last two couples departing from my left. Soon, only one person with a distinct French accent remained, engrossed in a conversation on his phone. Wait a minute… Could it be? Is that Vaillant? Out of the 50 restaurants in that town, he had chosen the one where my date was taking place. Sitting there with just the three of us, Jenny began to feel uneasy, fearing that something bad might happen to her.

“Is there anything I can do to make you feel safer?” I asked. “Yes, I want to go home,” she told me. “Okay, no worries. I will pay the bill,” I reassured her.

Feeling defeated and foolish, I returned to my travel companion’s table. As the waiter brought both of our bills, I suddenly realized that I didn’t have enough cash in my wallet to cover the expenses of my date.

Ironically, one of the questions she had asked me earlier that day was whether I was seeking a “sugar mommy” to pay my bills.

While Vaillant paid for my date, he couldn’t help but laugh. “Poor Niek!” he exclaimed. “It’s a good thing I am here to save you again.” It almost felt as if he had sabotaged my date rather than rescuing it. But I reminded myself that everything happens for a reason, even the things we don’t necessarily like.

The next day, we faced our last and most challenging border crossing: Costa Rica.

Vaillant tried to cheer me up by likening our dating lives to sales transactions, using fancy words like “love is a numbers game; just keep her in the pipeline.” His humorous perspective helped me detach from my inner drama queen.

As we approached the Costa Rican border, I saw how a cycle was ending when I noticed a beautiful woman wearing Crocs. It wasn’t the same woman as in San Jose airport, but it brought a smile, remembering how it all began.

It took us only three hours to fly to Texas, but nearly three weeks to drive back to Costa Rica.

When we arrived in Grecia, our journey ended where it began – sharing a nice BBQ dinner.

While driving up the mountain to Vaillant’s community, I felt deep gratitude for the insights and experiences this journey provided. Embracing life’s challenges is the only way to truly grow as a human being. The ego may try to deceive us, but true growth comes from embracing the full experience of life.

Looking back at how long I waited to live the life I truly wanted, full of excuses and hesitations, I realized I could have remained in that state indefinitely.

Take the leap, because in the end, there’s nothing to lose and so much to gain.

And Jenny? She texted me as I predicted once we crossed to Costa Rica. The adventure continues.

Version en Français: chapitre V – Nicaragua

Alors que nous nous dirigions vers León, une ville imprégnée d’histoire, renommée pour sa scène culturelle vibrante, son architecture coloniale et son passé révolutionnaire, nous avons rencontré pas moins de cinq postes de contrôle de police en chemin. Le nombre de policiers sur notre route était impressionnant. À la tombée de la nuit, alors que nous atteignons un autre poste de contrôle, j’ai veillé à prendre un bon virage après avoir bien marquer l’arrêt. Notre plaque d’immatriculation du Texas était comme une invitation ouverte pour la police, afin de les inciter à nous extorquer de l’argent. Ils trouveraient n’importe quel prétexte pour réclamer le paiement d’amendes en liquide ou plus justement des pots-de-vin.

L’un des officiers nous a arrêtés, affirmant que j’avais pris un mauvais virage et méritais une amende. Fatigué et agacé après une longue journée, je lui ai calmement dit d’émettre l’amende, mais que je n’avais pas d’argent liquide sur moi pour le moment, en affichant un grand sourire. Il semblait stupéfait, réalisant probablement qu’écrire une contravention ne lui offrait aucun avantage personnel, et il a décidé de nous laisser partir avec un simple avertissement.

Nous sommes arrivés à León de nuit, enfreignant involontairement notre règle de ne pas conduire pendant l’obscurité. Étonnamment, mis à part les contrôles de police, nous n’avons rencontré aucune menace au cours du trajet. Pour nous détendre et nous remettre de cette longue journée, nous nous sommes rendus dans un charmant restaurant du centre-ville appelé Beers & Pellets, où nous avons savouré un excellent repas à une fraction du coût comparé au Costa Rica. Pour seulement 26 $, nous avons eu un magnifique repas accompagné de bières pour deux. Les villes du Nicaragua me donnaient l’impression de Cuba, avec leurs bâtiments colorés, leur modernité limitée, et la gentillesse et la spontanéité authentiques de la population. Les deux pays avaient été considérablement influencés par l’Union soviétique et avaient subi les conséquences de la guerre froide, les deux superpuissances finançant des organisations criminelles des deux côtés pour exploiter les ressources du pays.

Le pays porte une énergie lourde, illustrée par un sentiment général de résignation et d’apathie persistant après des années de guerre civile et de dépression économique. Néanmoins, malgré ces défis, nous avons découvert que les routes étaient excellentes dans tout le pays, surpassant même celles du Costa Rica pour les endroits que nous avons visités. Suivant les recommandations, nous avons choisi une visite guidée du Cerro Negro, une expérience incontournable. C’est un volcan très récent, le plus jeune d’Amérique centrale et le deuxième plus jeune du monde, apparu pour la première fois en avril 1850. Il se compose d’un cône de cendres basaltiques graveleux, qui contraste fortement avec les collines verdoyantes environnantes, d’où son nom, qui signifie colline noire. Pour seulement 40 $, nous avons eu un transport aller-retour de deux heures, un t-shirt, un bandana, une incroyable randonnée avec des points de vue imprenables, une descente palpitante du volcan en luge, du coca et du rhum à volonté, des compagnons de voyage amusants et un déjeuner satisfaisant. La descente du volcan a été sans aucun doute l’une de mes expériences phares, excitante et pourtant nous nous sommes sentis en sécurité grâce à l’équipement approprié fourni par l’agence touristique.

Notre prochaine destination était Granada, une ville pittoresque réputée pour son architecture coloniale bien préservée. Nous avons exploré les marchés locaux et déambulé dans les rues charmantes et colorées où de nombreuses activités étaient proposées aux passants. De délicieux plats nous attendaient à des prix très abordables.

Le lendemain, nous avons visité le volcan Masaya, réputé pour son impressionnant cratère émettant des gaz sulfureux et des coulées de lave occasionnelles. Malheureusement, la pluie du matin nous a empêchés d’utiliser le chemin avec vue directe sur la lave. Néanmoins, le gigantesque cratère avec sa cheminée verticale nous a laissé bouche bée, nous donnant une idée des immenses forces de la nature. Le musée sur l’histoire du volcan nous a offert des perspectives intrigantes, notamment sur le sombre passé des sacrifices d’enfants lancés vivant dans la lave incandescente par les peuples autochtones et les tentatives des colons pour combattre les forces perçues de l’enfer en envoyant de grandes statues en bois du Christ dans la bouche brûlante du volcan.

Nous avons ensuite réservé la ville de Rivas comme dernière étape du Nicaragua, ce qui nous a permis d’accéder facilement à l’immense lac Cocibolca, également connu sous le nom de lac Nicaragua, le plus grand lac d’eau douce d’Amérique centrale. De là, nous avons pu explorer aisément l’île d’Ometepe et la célèbre ville balnéaire de San Juan del Sur.

Pendant notre voyage, Niek a pris conscience de sa disposition à s’engager dans une relation à long terme et a décidé d’ouvrir son compte de rencontre sur Bumble. Presque instantanément, il a trouvé une parfaite compatibilité avec Jenny, une femme européenne très grande, articulée et spirituelle, qui semblait le compléter à tous points de vue. Ils ont immédiatement cliqué en ligne, et il a organisé un rendez-vous avec elle le même soir. La promesse de l’amour l’a incité à conduire bravement la nuit, sans aucune hésitation. Je ne pouvais m’empêcher d’être sincèrement heureux pour lui et excité de voir cette nouvelle possibilité amoureuse se développer.

Alors que je témoignais de l’enthousiasme et du bonheur de Niek à explorer ce nouveau potentiel amoureux, je ne pouvais m’empêcher de me voir en lui à ce moment-là. Cela m’a sincèrement réjoui de le voir si enthousiaste. Cependant, sa joie fut de courte durée, car peu de temps après son départ pour son rendez-vous, il m’a appelé en état de panique. Il avait été arrêté par la police, et à sa grande consternation, il avait oublié les papiers de la voiture. J’ai rapidement envoyé des photos des documents requis, mais le policier nicaraguayen a vu une occasion de facilement monnayer cela et a insisté pour que les documents physiques soient nécessaires. Niek, soucieux de ne pas faire attendre son rendez-vous, a payé 20 $ à l’officier pour son indulgence et est immédiatement retourné à l’hôtel récupérer les papiers et s’envoler vers sa muse.

Alors que je m’installais pour ce que j’espérais être une nuit de repos à l’hôtel, le destin en avait décidé autrement. Le Gran Hotel Victoria, où nous séjournions, avait loué la terrasse à côté de notre chambre pour une fête d’anniversaire. Le niveau de bruit était semblable à celui d’un groupe de musique en live à l’intérieur de notre chambre. On m’a informé que la fête se terminerait à 23 heures, mais elle a continué bruyamment jusqu’à 1 heure du matin, perturbant tout espoir de repos. Pendant ce temps, Niek est rentré vers minuit de son rendez-vous amoureux, rayonnant de bonheur.

Notre journée a commencé tôt à 5h30 du matin, car nous devions prendre le ferry pour l’île enchanteresse d’Ometepe, située dans le lac Nicaragua. Ce qui rend Ometepe vraiment spécial, ce sont ses deux volcans, Concepción et Maderas, qui créent un cadre captivant et pittoresque. Malheureusement, à notre arrivée à Ometepe, nous avons eu la déception d’apprendre que les ferries de retour le soir étaient complets. Bien qu’on nous ait dit que les réservations n’étaient pas nécessaires, j’ai compris à mes dépens qu’il vaut mieux réserver en avance, surtout si vous avez une voiture.

Nous avons dû nous contenter du ferry de retour à 13h. Étonnamment, cela convenait à Niek, car cela signifiait qu’il pourrait passer plus de temps avec Jenny à 15h le même jour. Il est clair pour tous que l’attrait d’une belle femme surpasse même les paysages les plus époustouflants. Avec le temps limité sur l’île, nous avons opté pour l’explorer en voiture et décidé de visiter El Ojo de Agua, une oasis cachée aux eaux cristallines, avec une corde de Tarzan et des piscines magiques regorgeant de vie. Malgré notre courte visite, la sérénité d’Ometepe a laissé une impression inoubliable sur nous.

Plus tard dans la journée, j’ai déposé Niek pour qu’il passe plus de temps avec Jenny, et je me suis offert une baignade relaxante dans les eaux tranquilles de San Juan del Sur. En me promenant paisiblement dans la vibrante ville balnéaire de San Juan del Sur, la tentation m’a conduit chez Gaby’s Spa and Laundry – un nom particulier, mais ne vous y trompez pas : il y a effectivement un salon de relaxation à l’étage. J’ai donc profité d’un excellent massage en profondeur, qui, comme tout le reste au Nicaragua, était étonnamment abordable.

En cours de soirée, Niek m’a envoyé un message exprimant son désir de passer autant de temps que possible avec Jenny, car il avait déjà développé de forts sentiments pour elle. Nous avions convenu précédemment d’un couvre-feu à 22 heures, donc son message était une confirmation que je devais venir le chercher plus tard. Je me demandais comment occuper le reste de ma soirée et ai fini par choisir le restaurant populaire aux excellentes revues, Dale Pues.

Au cours de mon dîner, j’ai été surpris de voir Niek s’approcher de ma table. Il est apparu que Jenny avait choisi le même restaurant pour sa soirée avec lui. Elle était magnifique dans sa robe, et elle a attiré mon attention de loin. Les observant ensemble, je ne pouvais m’empêcher d’être sincèrement heureux pour Niek ; ces deux géants (Niek mesure 1m94 et Jenny 1m88) semblaient être faits l’un pour l’autre. Cependant, juste au moment où je me perdais dans mes pensées, l’ambiance a rapidement changé. Cinq minutes plus tard, Niek est revenu à ma table, visiblement bouleversé. Jenny était partie, et son départ était teinté d’une profonde insécurité et suspicion, principalement en raison de ma présence.

Ma barbe de voyageur négligée et mes cheveux blonds ébouriffés semblaient avoir involontairement créé une fausse impression. Aux yeux de Jenny, je ressemblais à quelqu’un issu d’un monde peu recommandable, peut-être impliqué dans un réseau de prostitution qui aurait pu l’envoyer rapidement au Moyen-Orient. La coïncidence de ma présence était trop difficile à surmonter pour elle, et les tentatives de Niek pour la rassurer se sont avérées insuffisantes.

Toujours gentleman, Niek lui a demandé comment il pourrait le mieux la soutenir, et elle a exprimé le besoin de prendre du temps seule. Malgré sa volonté de rester plus longtemps au Nicaragua et de mieux la connaître, il est devenu évident que leurs chemins n’étaient pas destinés à se croiser davantage. Bien que Niek ait conservé l’espoir, attendant un message qui pourrait changer le cours des événements, cela ne s’est pas produit. Le matin venu, mon compagnon s’est préparé à quitter Rivas avec moi alors que nous repartions vers le Costa Rica, acceptant que le destin ait prévu autre chose pour lui.

Comme mentionné dans le blog précédent, la frontière Honduras/Nicaragua était la plus stressante, mais la frontière Nicaragua/Costa Rica s’est révélée la plus longue. Conduire jusqu’à l’entrée était relativement facile, avec seulement une courte file de camions, et nous avons trouvé que l’organisation globale de cette frontière était bonne. Du côté nicaraguayen, nous avons d’abord fait tamponner nos passeports, et un jeune homme a demandé un péage de 1 $ par personne pour passer la porte. Aussi étrange que cela puisse paraître, nous avons payé le péage, mais il n’avait pas de monnaie, alors il nous a demandé de revenir plus tard pour lui donner à nouveau 1 $. Étonnamment, il ne nous a jamais rappelé pour le dollar manquant lorsque nous l’avons croisé plus tard. Je ne comprends toujours pas quel était son objectif. Ensuite, nous avons payé 3 $ par personne pour faire tamponner nos passeports. Après cela, on nous a demandé de passer toutes les sept pièces de nos bagages dans le scanner. Un seul de nos sacs a été signalé à cause de la nouvelle machine à faire des jus de Niek en provenance des États-Unis. J’ai dû expliquer que j’emporte cette machine partout pour des raisons de santé, et heureusement, ils m’ont cru et n’ont imposé aucun frais supplémentaire. Cependant, ils ont quand même insisté pour scanner toute notre voiture, ce qui s’est avéré être un processus compliqué pour accéder à l’énorme machine de scan.

Cette machine était une pièce de technologie impressionnante. Les autorités nous ont demandé de sortir de la voiture et de trouver un endroit sûr à l’écart des rayonnements. J’ai ensuite attendu pendant près d’une heure pour recevoir les résultats de la police. Ensuite, j’ai dû retourner aux douanes du Nicaragua pour obtenir un tampon supplémentaire, ce qui a pris encore 45 minutes en raison des longues files d’attente. Enfin, nous avons pu passer du côté costaricien. Alors que nous rejoignions la file pour faire tamponner nos passeports, un “assistant” s’est approché de moi, proposant d’accélérer le processus moyennant des frais. Curieux, j’ai demandé combien, et il a répondu “10 mil” (environ 20 $), alors j’ai accepté l’offre.

Tout d’abord, il m’a conseillé de prendre l’un de mes petits bagages et de faire semblant que c’était tout ce que nous avions, une suggestion qui me convenait bien après notre coûteuse expérience à la frontière du Guatemala. Deuxièmement, il nous a aidés à doubler la file d’attente et à entrer dans la salle d’attente devant les honnêtes gens qui attendaient patiemment à l’extérieur. Bien que cela nous ait peut-être fait gagner 20 minutes, nous avons quand même dû respecter la file à l’intérieur du bâtiment. Se sentant coupable des méthodes de cet énergumène, une caractéristique frustrante mais malheureusement courante au Costa Rica, nous avons essayé de nous racheter en offrant une chaise à une dame de 88 ans pendant que sa fille attendait devant nous pour faire tamponner son passeport.

Après avoir réussi à faire tamponner nos passeports et avoir scanné notre seul bagage, notre énergumène m’a dirigé vers un autre bureau pour payer 20 $ pour l’entrée de la voiture. Le moment est venu pour lui de réclamer son dû. Comme convenu, je lui ai remis 10 000 colones, mais à ma surprise, il a protesté en disant que cet argent était uniquement destiné aux employés du gouvernement et qu’il attendait un paiement supplémentaire pour ses efforts. Agacé par son manque de transparence, une caractéristique frustrante mais malheureusement courante au Costa Rica, je lui ai donné 8 000 colones supplémentaires pour éviter d’autres complications. En conclusion, faire appel à ces “assistants” lors du passage de la frontière du Costa Rica ne vaut pas la peine. Leur aide s’est avérée être une arnaque et nous a laissé frustrés.

On m’a alors dit de finaliser le processus dans un autre bureau des douanes, à 200 mètres de là. J’ai obtempéré, obtenu les documents d’assurance voiture pour 51 $ pour trois mois au Costa Rica (oui, les voitures obtiennent un visa touristique de trois mois, tout comme les personnes). Cependant, alors que nous essayions de passer la frontière, nous avons rencontré un problème familier – des papiers manquants. J’ai dû retourner au même bureau, seulement pour découvrir que j’avais un autre arrêt à un autre poste. Malheureusement, la dame était en pause déjeuner, nous obligeant à attendre encore 30 minutes pour terminer le processus. Bien que ce ne fut pas excessivement stressant, cette inefficacité en a fait notre passage de frontière le plus long, prenant bien plus de quatre heures. Et bien sûr, juste alors que nous passions finalement la frontière, Jenny envoyait un message à Niek lui demandant de revenir pour passer ensemble!

Malgré ma tendance à critiquer mon pays de résidence maintenant que je suis bien conscient de certaines de ses lacunes, il était merveilleux de rentrer chez moi. Niek et moi avons ressenti un immense sentiment d’accomplissement alors que nous mettions fin à notre voyage épique. Nous avons passé la nuit à Liberia chez mon bon ami Dominique, avec sa famille. Le lendemain, nous avons savouré le dernier déjeuner de notre voyage au Cinco20, le grill texan à Grecia, ma ville de résidence au Costa Rica. En somme, nous avons fini là où nous avons commencé, à 5 000 kilomètres et trois semaines plus tard. Cela nous a apporté une pure joie de renouer avec les membres de notre communauté et nos animaux de ferme. Pendant notre voyage, nos deux chèvres femelles avaient donné naissance à deux adorables petites filles. Tout est bien qui finit bien.

Versión en español a continuación

Mientras nos dirigíamos hacia León, una ciudad impregnada de historia, famosa por su vibrante escena cultural, su arquitectura colonial y su pasado revolucionario, nos encontramos con no menos de cinco puestos de control de policía en el camino. El número de policías en nuestra ruta era impresionante. Al anochecer, cuando llegamos a otro puesto de control, me aseguré de hacer un buen giro después de detenerme completamente. Nuestra matrícula de Texas parecía ser una invitación abierta para la policía, incitándolos a extorsionarnos por dinero. Encontrarían cualquier pretexto para exigir el pago de multas en efectivo o, más sobornos.

Uno de los oficiales nos detuvo, afirmando que había hecho un giro incorrecto y merecía una multa. Cansado y molesto después de un largo día, le dije tranquilamente que emitiera la multa, pero que no tenía dinero en efectivo en ese momento, mostrando una gran sonrisa. Parecía estar sorprendido, probablemente dándose cuenta de que escribir una multa no le ofrecía ninguna ventaja personal, y decidió dejarnos ir con una simple advertencia.

Llegamos a León de noche, rompiendo involuntariamente nuestra regla de no conducir durante la oscuridad. Sorprendentemente, aparte de los controles policiales, no encontramos ninguna amenaza durante el viaje. Para relajarnos y recuperarnos después de este largo día, fuimos a un encantador restaurante en el centro llamado “Beers & Pellets”, donde disfrutamos de una excelente comida a una fracción del costo en comparación con Costa Rica. Por solo 26 dólares, tuvimos una maravillosa comida acompañada de cervezas para dos. Las ciudades de Nicaragua me dieron la impresión de Cuba, con sus edificios coloridos, su limitada modernidad y la auténtica amabilidad y espontaneidad de la población. Ambos países habían sido fuertemente influenciados por la Unión Soviética y habían experimentado las consecuencias de la Guerra Fría, con ambas superpotencias financiando organizaciones criminales en ambos lados para explotar los recursos del país.

El país tiene una energía pesada, ilustrada por un sentimiento general de resignación y apatía persistente después de años de guerra civil y depresión económica. Sin embargo, a pesar de estos desafíos, descubrimos que las carreteras eran excelentes en todo el país, superando incluso las del Costa Rica para los lugares que visitamos. Siguiendo las recomendaciones, optamos por hacer una visita guiada al Cerro Negro, una experiencia imperdible. Es un volcán muy reciente, el más joven de América Central y el segundo más joven del mundo, que apareció por primera vez en abril de 1850. Consiste en un cono de ceniza basáltica y grava, que contrasta fuertemente con las verdes colinas circundantes, de ahí su nombre, que significa “colina negra”. Por solo 40 dólares, tuvimos transporte de ida y vuelta de dos horas, una caminata increíble con vistas impresionantes, un emocionante descenso en trineo por el volcán, refrescos y ron ilimitados, compañeros de viaje divertidos y un almuerzo satisfactorio. El descenso del volcán fue sin duda una de mis experiencias destacadas, emocionante y aún así nos sentimos seguros gracias al equipo adecuado proporcionado por la agencia turística.

Nuestro próximo destino fue Granada, una pintoresca ciudad conocida por su conservada arquitectura colonial. Exploramos los mercados locales y paseamos por las encantadoras y coloridas calles donde se ofrecían muchas actividades a los transeúntes. Deliciosos platos nos esperaban a precios muy accesibles.

Al día siguiente, visitamos el volcán Masaya, famoso por su impresionante cráter que emite gases sulfurosos y ocasionalmente flujos de lava. Desafortunadamente, la lluvia de la mañana nos impidió usar el camino con vista directa a la lava. Sin embargo, el gigantesco cráter con su chimenea vertical nos dejó asombrados, dándonos una idea de las inmensas fuerzas de la naturaleza. El museo sobre la historia del volcán nos ofreció perspectivas intrigantes, incluido el oscuro pasado de sacrificios de tantos niños que fuerón arrojados vivos a la lava incandescente por los pueblos indígenas y los intentos de los colonos de combatir las fuerzas percibidas del infierno al arrojar grandes estatuas de madera de Cristo en la boca ardiente del volcán.

Luego reservamos la ciudad de Rivas como última etapa de Nicaragua, lo que nos permitió acceder fácilmente al inmenso Lago Cocibolca, también conocido como Lago de Nicaragua, el lago de agua dulce más grande de América Central. Desde allí, pudimos explorar fácilmente la isla de Ometepe y la famosa ciudad costera de San Juan del Sur.

Durante nuestro viaje, Niek se dio cuenta de su disposición a comprometerse en una relación a largo plazo y decidió abrir su cuenta en la aplicación de citas Bumble. Casi instantáneamente, encontró una perfecta compatibilidad con Jenny, una mujer europea muy alta, articulada y espiritual, que parecía complementarlo en todos los aspectos. Inmediatamente conectaron en línea, y él organizó una cita con ella esa misma noche. La promesa del amor lo llevó a conducir valientemente durante la noche, sin dudarlo. No pude evitar sentirme sinceramente feliz por él y emocionado de que podría ver esta nueva posibilidad amorosa desarrollarse.

Mientras presenciaba el entusiasmo y la felicidad de Niek al explorar este nuevo potencial amoroso, no pude evitar verme a mí mismo en él en ese momento. Sinceramente me alegró verlo tan emocionado. Sin embargo, su alegría fue de corta duración, ya que poco después de irse para su cita, me llamó en estado de pánico. Lo habían detenido la policía, y para su gran consternación, se había olvidado los papeles del automóvil. Rápidamente, envié fotos de los documentos requeridos, pero el policía nicaragüense vió una oportunidad para sacar provecho fácilmente y insistió en que los documentos físicos eran necesarios. Niek, preocupado por no hacer esperar a su cita, pagó 20 dólares al oficial por su indulgencia y regresó de inmediato al hotel para recuperar los papeles y reunirse con su musa.

Mientras me preparaba para lo que esperaba que fuera una noche de descanso en el hotel, el destino tenía otros planes. El Gran Hotel Victoria, donde nos hospedábamos, había alquilado la terraza junto a nuestra habitación para una fiesta de cumpleaños. El nivel de ruido era similar al de un concierto en vivo dentro de nuestra habitación. Me informaron que la fiesta terminaría a las 11 de la noche, pero continuó ruidosamente hasta la 1 de la madrugada, perturbando cualquier esperanza de descanso. Mientras tanto, Niek regresó alrededor de la medianoche de su cita amorosa, radiante de felicidad.

Nuestro día comenzó temprano a las 5:30 de la mañana, ya que debíamos tomar el ferry hacia la encantadora isla de Ometepe, ubicada en el lago de Nicaragua. Lo que hace que Ometepe sea realmente especial son sus dos volcanes, Concepción y Maderas, que crean un entorno cautivador y pintoresco. Desafortunadamente, al llegar a Ometepe, nos decepcionamos al enterarnos de que los ferries de regreso por la tarde estaban completos. Aunque nos dijeron que las reservas no eran necesarias, aprendí a mis expensas que es mejor reservar con anticipación, especialmente si tienes un automóvil.

Tuvimos que conformarnos con el ferry de regreso a la 1 de la tarde. Sorprendentemente, esto le vino bien a Niek, ya que significaba que podría pasar más tiempo con Jenny a las 3 de la tarde del mismo día. Estaba claro para todos que el atractivo de una hermosa mujer superaba incluso los paisajes más impresionantes. Con tiempo limitado en la isla, optamos por explorarla en coche y decidimos visitar El Ojo de Agua, un oasis escondido con aguas cristalinas, una cuerda de Tarzán y piscinas mágicas llenas de vida. A pesar de nuestra corta visita, la serenidad de Ometepe dejó una impresión inolvidable en nosotros.

Más tarde ese día, dejé a Niek para que pasara más tiempo con Jenny, y yo me di el lujo de un relajante baño en las tranquilas aguas de San Juan del Sur. Mientras paseaba pacíficamente por la vibrante ciudad costera de San Juan del Sur, la tentación me llevó a Gaby’s Spa and Laundry, un nombre peculiar, pero no te equivoques: hay realmente un salón de relajación arriba. Así que disfruté de un excelente masaje profundo, que, como todo lo demás en Nicaragua, fue sorprendentemente asequible.

Durante la tarde, Niek me envió un mensaje expresando su deseo de pasar el mayor tiempo posible con Jenny, ya que ya había desarrollado fuertes sentimientos por ella. Habíamos acordado anteriormente un toque de queda a las 10 de la noche, así que su mensaje fue una confirmación de que debía recogerlo más tarde. Me preguntaba cómo ocupar el resto de mi noche y terminé eligiendo el popular restaurante con excelentes puntajes en sus comidas, “Dale Pues”.

Mientras cenaba, me sorprendió ver a Niek acercarse a mi mesa. Resultó que Jenny había elegido el mismo restaurante para su cita con él. Ella lucía hermosa en su vestido, y atrajo mi atención desde lejos. Observándolos juntos, no pude evitar sentirme sinceramente feliz por Niek; parecían estar hechos el uno para el otro. Sin embargo, justo cuando me perdía en mis pensamientos, el ambiente cambió rápidamente. Cinco minutos después, Niek regresó a mi mesa, visiblemente angustiado. Jenny se había ido, y su partida estaba teñida de una profunda inseguridad y sospecha, principalmente debido a mi presencia.

Mi barba de viajero descuidada y mi cabello rubio despeinado parecían haber creado involuntariamente una impresión equivocada. A los ojos de Jenny, parecía alguien proveniente de un mundo poco recomendable, tal vez involucrado en una red de prostitución que podría haberla enviado rápidamente al Medio Oriente. La coincidencia de mi presencia era demasiado difícil de superar para ella, y los intentos de Niek por tranquilizarla resultaron insuficientes.

Siempre un caballero, Niek le preguntó cómo podía apoyarla mejor, y ella expresó la necesidad de tomar tiempo a solas. A pesar de su voluntad de quedarse más tiempo en Nicaragua y conocerla mejor, quedó claro que sus caminos no estaban destinados a cruzarse más. Aunque Niek mantuvo la esperanza, esperando un mensaje que pudiera cambiar el curso de los acontecimientos, eso no sucedió. A la mañana siguiente, mi compañero se preparó para dejar Rivas conmigo mientras nos dirigíamos de regreso a Costa Rica, aceptando que el destino tenía algo diferente planeado para él.

Como mencioné en el blog anterior, la frontera entre Honduras y Nicaragua fue la más estresante, pero la frontera entre Nicaragua y Costa Rica resultó ser la más larga. Conducir hasta la entrada fue relativamente fácil, con solo una breve fila de camiones, y encontramos que la organización general de esta frontera era buena. Desde el lado de Nicaragua, primero sellamos nuestros pasaportes, y un joven solicitó un peaje de 1 dólar por persona para pasar la puerta. Tan extraño como suena, pagamos el peaje, pero él no tenía cambio, así que nos pidió que volviéramos más tarde para darle nuevamente 1 dólar. Sorprendentemente, nunca nos volvió a llamar por el dólar que faltaba cuando lo cruzamos nuevamente. Todavía no entiendo cuál era su objetivo. Luego pagamos 3 dólares por persona para sellar nuestros pasaportes. Después de eso, nos pidieron que pasáramos todas las siete piezas de nuestro equipaje a través del escáner. Solo una de nuestras maletas fue señalada debido a la nueva máquina de hacer jugos de Niek que venía de Estados Unidos. Tuve que explicar que llevaba esa máquina a todas partes por razones de salud, y afortunadamente, me creyeron y no impusieron ningún cargo adicional. Sin embargo, aún insistieron en escanear todo nuestro automóvil, lo que resultó ser un proceso complicado para acceder a la enorme máquina de escaneo.

Esa máquina era una pieza impresionante de tecnología. Las autoridades nos pidieron que saliéramos del automóvil y encontráramos un lugar seguro lejos de las radiaciones. Luego esperé durante casi una hora para recibir los resultados de la inspección policial. Luego tuve que regresar a la aduana de Nicaragua para obtener otro sello, lo que llevó otros 45 minutos debido a las largas filas. Finalmente, pudimos pasar al lado costarricense. Mientras nos uníamos a la fila para sellar nuestros pasaportes, un “asistente” se acercó a mí, ofreciéndose a acelerar el proceso por una tarifa. Curioso, le pregunté cuánto, y él respondió “10 mil” (aproximadamente 20 dólares), así que acepté la oferta.

En primer lugar, me aconsejó que tomara una de mis maletas pequeñas y fingiera que eso era todo lo que teníamos, una sugerencia con la que estaba de acuerdo después de nuestra costosa experiencia en la frontera de Guatemala. En segundo lugar, nos ayudó a saltar la fila y entrar en la sala de espera frente a las personas honestas que esperaban pacientemente afuera. Aunque esto podría habernos ahorrado unos 20 minutos, todavía tuvimos que hacer cola dentro del edificio. Sintiéndome culpable por las tácticas del asistente, una característica frustrante pero lamentablemente común en Costa Rica, intentamos redimirnos ofreciendo una silla a una señora de 88 años mientras su hija esperaba en la fila delante de nosotros para sellar su pasaporte.

Después de lograr sellar nuestros pasaportes y escanear nuestra única maleta, el asistente y yo nos dirigimos a otra oficina de aduanas, a unos 200 metros de distancia. Accedí, obtuve los documentos de seguro del automóvil por 51 dólares por tres meses en Costa Rica (sí, los automóviles obtienen una visa de turista de tres meses, al igual que las personas). Sin embargo, cuando intentamos pasar la frontera, nos encontramos con un problema conocido: documentos faltantes. Tuve que volver a la misma oficina, solo para descubrir que tenía otra parada en otra estación. Desafortunadamente, la señora estaba en su pausa para el almuerzo, lo que nos obligó a esperar otros 30 minutos para completar el proceso. Aunque no fue extremadamente estresante, esta ineficiencia hizo que nuestro paso fronterizo fuera el más largo, tomando más de cuatro horas. Y, por supuesto, justo cuando finalmente cruzamos la frontera, ¡Jenny le envió un mensaje a Niek pidiéndole que regresara para pasar más tiempo juntos!

A pesar de mi tendencia a criticar mi país de residencia ahora que soy muy consciente de algunas de sus deficiencias, fue maravilloso volver a casa. Niek y yo sentimos un inmenso sentido de logro al terminar nuestro épico viaje. Pasamos la noche en Liberia con mi buen amigo Dominique y su familia. Al día siguiente, disfrutamos del último almuerzo de nuestro viaje en el Cinco20, el asador texano en Grecia, mi ciudad de residencia en Costa Rica. En resumen, terminamos donde comenzamos, a 5,000 kilómetros y tres semanas después. Nos llenó de pura alegría reunirnos con los miembros de nuestra comunidad y nuestros animales de granja. Durante nuestro viaje, nuestras dos cabras hembras habían dado a luz a dos adorables cabritas. Todo está bien cuando termina bien.

One thought on “Driving from the USA to Costa Rica V

  1. Pingback: Driving from the USA to Costa Rica IV - Coach Vaillant's blog

Leave a Reply